I’ll be completely honest when I say I have a sweet tooth. But truthfully who doesn’t? Especially when it comes to a party, where cake or cupcakes is a must! But just how costly can satisfying our sweet tooth get? The answer is: not very much at all, if prepared from home.
- 1 cup all-purpose flower
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 individual kit-kat bars broken in half
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 6-7 individual kit-kat bars crushed
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Now the key ingredient here, is the espresso! The espresso combined with the cocoa powder will enhance the flavor.
- In a larger mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and oil until smooth. Mix in the egg vanilla, buttermilk, and gradually add the flour mix previously prepared bit by bit.
- Pour the batter into a cupcake tray half way. For each liner, place one half of a kit kat bar. Fill the remainder of the liner with batter for each cupcake. Bake for 16-18 min or until the batter does not stick to a toothpick.
- While the cupcakes bake, prepare frosting. In a bowl, beat together butter, heavy cream, sugar, extract, and salt until smooth. Add in crushed kit-kat pieces and beat together.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled down, they are ready to be frosted. Serve immediately or 1 hour after the frosting has set to chill.
Et voila, have a break, have a kit-kat cupcake, approved by yours truly – S.